This is the cheesecake that I made for my birthday earlier this year. The recipe is from Delicious 5 of the Best by Valli Little, and has a very creamy filling and a sprinkling of cocoa powder on the top surface of the cake.
Ingredients (to serve 10-12)200g nice biscuits
75g unsalted butter, melted
800g cream cheese
190g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
30ml lemon juice
300ml sour cream
good-quality cocoa powder, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit / gas mark 4.
- Grease a 23cm round springform pan. Place 2 layers of aluminium foil on the outside of the pan (this prevents water seeping into the pan while cooking in the water bath).
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Combine the melted butter with the biscuit crumbs and press into the base of the pan.
- Put the cream cheese, 170g of the caster sugar, eggs, egg yolks, 2 teaspoons of the vanilla extract and the lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth, then pour over the biscuit base. Place the cheesecake in a large roasting pan and pour boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Beat together the sour cream, the remaining sugar and vanilla and pour over the cake. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside in the pan to cool, then refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve dusted with cocoa powder.