Friday 3 April 2015

Vegan Chocolate Rice Krispie Nests


This Sunday is Easter Sunday, so I thought a little Easter-related post was in order.  Ten years ago just before Easter, I had my best friend over for a sleepover and my mum organised three different Easter-related craft activities for us to do during the day.  One of them was making pompom chicks, the second was using stamps to make Easter cards, and the third were chocolate Rice Krispie nests.  Although my mum made a lot of Rice Krispie nests for school events when I was in primary school, these then fell out of favour, so I haven't had them in a while.  Then last week, I wondered "Hmmm, I wonder if I can find a vegan-friendly recipe for chocolate Rice Krispie nests?"  A quick search on Google brought up this recipe from Laurenne Hopkins.  In the recipe ingredients list as shown on the website, butter was listed as an ingredient, so I asked a vegan friend if she knew of any alternatives to butter that I could find easily in a supermarket and she suggested a brand called Pure.  I also plan to make these for a departmental "Ladies Tea Party" at uni in 2 weeks!



Ingredients

100g dark chocolate, broken into chunks
100g Rice Krispies

Instructions

  1. Measure the chocolate into a bowl and melt in short bursts in a microwave (stirring really often to avoid the chocolate burning) or in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
  2. Pour the Rice Krispies into the chocolate mixture and cover them with the chocolate.
  3. Use a spoon to divide the mix into cupcake cases.  Refrigerate until the "nests" are set.



No comments:

Post a Comment