Friday 17 April 2015

Vegan Honeycomb


Earlier this week, I was looking at the Instagram and blog of What the Cook, which is run by an old friend from school called Elle, and I saw that she had posted a recipe for black pepper honeycomb.  I'd seen the photo that she'd included, and I thought it looked quite nice and I was also reminded of the honeycomb of Cadbury's Crunchie bars.  As usual, I'd wondered if I could find a recipe for a vegan-friendly equivalent of honeycomb (i.e. a honeycomb without honey), and the easiest one I could find was the below recipe from Emily Cooks Vegan.

Ingredients

100g caster sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

Instructions

  1. Put the caster sugar and golden syrup into a stainless steel pan, stir once and then heat (do not stir the mixture at all while the pan is on the heat).
  2. Leave the sugar to bubble away for a few minutes until the mixture reaches a deep golden, maple syrup-like colour.  Quickly whisk in the bicarbonate of soda, and when the mixture "whooshes up", pour into a small, greaseproof paper-lined tin (the mixture will spread out by itself).
  3. Leave for a few minutes to set, then bash into smaller pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment