Friday 18 September 2015

Shortcake Cookies


Now that I've finished my Adventures in the USA series and it's now time for uni to start again (final year), there's several recipes that I want to share.  For the next few weeks, I'll be sharing recipes I've found in the June 2015 edition of the Tesco Food Family Living magazine.  The first of these recipes will be for shortcake cookies.  The original recipe includes a double cream, yoghurt and strawberry filling, but I decided to leave that bit out because my brother doesn't like strawberries (I love them though) and because I wanted to make this recipe vegan.  To do this, I swapped butter for Pure, a dairy-free vegan margarine that was recommended to me a few months ago when I was experimenting with recipes for chocolate Rice Krispie nests for a "Ladies Tea Party" at uni just after Easter.



Ingredients

(makes about 12 small cookies)
150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
40g plus 1 tablespoon caster sugar
100g vegan margarine, such as Pure

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 160 degrees Celsius if using a fan oven / gas mark 4.
  2. Measure out the sugar and margarine into a bowl and use an electric whisk to beat the two until smooth.
  3. Work in the flour to make a dry dough.  Wrap in Clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a long baguette-like stick.  Divide the dough into 12 approximately equal portions.
  5. Use your hands to flatten each portion of dough to about 5mm thick.  Use an approximately 7cm/3 inch diameter cutter to cut a round cookie out of each portion.  Re-roll the scraps if needed.
  6. Cook on a lined baking tray for 12-15 minutes until golden.
  7. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
  8. Serve with strawberries or banana nice cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment